|Downloads This Version
|Downloads of All Time
A basic chess app for Macintosh OSX, with nice graphics and a built-in FEN Viewer. Uses a classic Shannon type MiniMax search with Quiescence extensions and Alpha-Beta pruning. It supports Fischer games, copy/paste of FEN positions, and SAN Notation.
Cool Audio and Visual Brain features let you listen and see as it evaluates moves. Load and Save games, with unlimited Undo/Redo. The opening book includes over 10,000 moves from the ECO (Encyclopedia of Chess Openings). Runs at about 1500 ELO. Comes complete with FutureBasic 5 source code.
New in version 1.8:
- Added Hash Tables and Iterative Deepening. This should speed searches significantly.
- The Opening Book is now bundled and auto-loaded at startup.
- Captured pieces are now displayed in the info area.
- The evaluation is now more subtle, with many improved evaluation features:
- Adjusted the default weights of the knight and bishop, such that the following
conditions will occur: i) B > N > 3P; ii) B + N = R + 1.5P; iii) Q + P = 2R.
Thus, _bishopWt = 330; _knightWt = 320, as per: Tomasz Michniewski (ChessWiki)
- Improved the pawn tropism, added knight tropism, and a bonus for a bishop pair.
- It would previously castle into open (bad!) positions. Now it should only castle
into a position behind a protecting pawn.
- Positional scores have been normalized so as not to exceed material scores. This should help prevent bad trades.
- A bug in quiescenceSearch() which was lowering recapture scores was fixed.
- You can now load and save FEN with enPassant information.
- Clicking a square now shows only legal moves for the piece. Previously, it would show all moves for a piece whether they were legal or not.
Author's website: http://home.earthlink.net/~johnrpenner/index-creative.html
Universal Binary (PPC/Intel)
Mac OSX 10.5+ PPC or Intel
||joan devries (10/29/2010 - version 1.0.4)
|great chess app for the mac. nice graphics.
loads up fast when i want to email a chess move with the built-in FEN viewer.
View All Ratings & Reviews