|Downloads This Version
|Downloads of All Time
ioquake3 (or ioq3 for short,) aims to build upon id Software's Quake 3 source code release. The source code was released on August 20, 2005 under the GPL. Since then, we have been cleaning up, fixing bugs, and adding features.
Our permanent goal is to create the open source Quake 3 distribution upon which people base their games and projects. We also seek to have the perfect version of the engine for playing Quake 3: Arena, Team Arena, and all popular mods.
This distribution of the engine has been ported to many new platforms and has had a slew of new features added, along with massive bug extermination. While we don't have PunkBuster (and never will), we do have more security for servers and clients from various bugfixes which aren't in id's client.
• Ports to new platforms
• Off-server data downloads (http redirection) via HTTP and FTP with cURL
• OpenAL sound rendering allowing for surround (5.1 and 7.1) speaker layouts and generally improved sound quality. Especially on the Windows Vista Operating System.
• Ogg Vorbis audio decoding.
• In-engine VOIP support, with optional Mumble player-location support.
• IPV6 Networking. We’re ready to frag on the net of the future!
• SDL backend for the OpenGL context, window management, and input. This also improves portability.
• Anaglyph stereo rendering (for viewing with 3D glasses)
• Full x86-64 architecture support
• Rewritten PowerPC JIT compiler, with ppc64 support
• New SPARC JIT compiler, with support for both sparc32 and sparc64
• Compilation with MinGW and cross-compilation for Windows from Linux
• Improved console command auto-completion
• Persistent console command history
• Improved QVM (Quake Virtual Machine) tools
• Colored terminal output on POSIX operating systems
• GUID System
• Multiuser support on Windows systems (user-specific game data is stored in their respective Application Data folders)
• PNG format support for textures
• Numerous security fixes
Universal Binary (PPC/Intel)
• Mac OS X 10.0 or later.
||James (5/31/2009 - version 1.36)
|Simply the best port of the Q3 engine.
||Endymion (3/15/2007 - version 1.34rc2)
|This is THE fastest version of Quake 3 for the Macintosh. I get 275fps on timedemo from a 1.5GHz G4/X800 AGP card. Rock solid, bullet proof, and free of bugs that have plagued id's build since Graeme Devine left us with a staticking build for the G5.
View All Ratings & Reviews