|Downloads This Version
|Downloads of All Time
An open-source, cross-platform, flight simulator. The goal of the FlightGear project is to create a sophisticated flight simulator framework for use in research or academic environments, for the development and pursuit of other interesting flight simulation ideas, and as an end-user application.
* A new head-up display (HUD) system
* An in-sim moving map
* ATC/ATIS improvements
* EICAS instruments are available on a selected number of aircraft
* Improved autopilots
* TCAS, works with AI and multiplayer aircraft, provides aural warnings for conflicting traffic and is also capable of driving a realistic traffic display. AI aircraft also respond to TCAS alerts and take evasive action
* Updates to the KLN89 GPS.
* Tankers now refuel with any callsign, and can enable/disable refueling in flight.
* A standalone AI flightplan generator program
* Approaching aircraft now follow realistic approach trajectories
* Ballistic objects can be slaved to any AI object
* Improved AI ballistics behavior
* More communication / interaction between AI aircraft and ground. Support for multiple frequencies for AI/ATC interaction.
* Speed-up for AI traffic initialization by means of an aircraft usage statistics collection mechanism
* General and commercial aviation traffic at LOWI airport
* Malaysian Airways / Kuala Lumpur based traffic
* Traffic for Adria (Croatia)
* A new MIL-STD Turbulence model has been added to the JSBSim flight dynamics simulation engine
* A local weather system to simulate physically correct local weather phenomena
* Discard of outdated METAR weather information sources and improved METAR parsing
* New Fog layers with limited elevation
* Scenery can be downloaded and installed on-the-fly via an in-sim TerraSync interface
* Specific multiplayer pilots can be selectively ignored
* Complete overhaul of the autopilot system
o New digital controllers
o Flexible use of input and output values
o Support for mathematical expressions
o Usable for generic numeric data processing as a “property rule” system
* Better integration of separate weather systems
* New support of draggable 3d objects like throttle-levers
* Support for textures generated from VNC clients
* Unified runway selection code that is shared between user controlled and AI controlled aircraft
* New HLA interface for distributed simulations
* New on demand loading of Nasal modules
* New support for external (aka real) Garmin 400/500 WAAS Units
* Various graphics improvements using shaders, including 3D urban effects, reflections, water, rock textures, lightmaps, skydome scattering
* Easy GUI-based access to a host of stereoscopic 3D rendering effects
* Panoramic distortion
* Persistent contrails
* New standalone 2D-Panel rendering utility
* Fixed METAR live weather (http requests from NOAA)
* Fixed many sources of the infamous NaN errors
* Improved stability by fixing many segmentation faults, deadlocks and memory leaks
* Improved placement of random objects
* Fixed inconsistencies with scenery tile scheduling
* The replay system now works again as advertised
* The ground proximity warning system (GPWS) works reliably now
* Runway lights also working with ATI graphics cards now (rendering option to disable point-sprites) Many, many more. See our bugtracker for an extensive list
Highlighted new and improved aircraft
* A new and highly detailed IAR-80 (a Romanian-produced WW2 fighter)
* A new highly detailed Piper Cub
* Airbus A320 Family (318/319/320/321)
* An improved P-51D, completely remodeled and containing improved flight dynamics
* Boeing 717
* Boeing 757-200
* Bombardier CRJ700 Series (700/900/1000)
* Bombardier CRJ200
* Douglas A-4F Skyhawk
* Improvements to the Boeing 787
* PZL-Mielec M18B “Dromader”
* Short S.23 Empire flying boat
* The Boeing 737NG Series
* The Boeing 747-400 and 777-200 have received lots of improvements
* The Douglas DC-8 Series
* The Eurocopter EC130 B4 Helicopter
* Tyre smoke effects on many aircraft
* Zeppelin LZ 121 Nordstern
Universal Binary (PPC/Intel)
• Mac OS X 10.4 or later.
||Neil Mc Neill (6/29/2010 - version 2.0.0)
|I use mac computers only, I,m not rich, I just like things to work trouble free the first time. I tried FlightGear on my MacbookAir, my wife has a Macbook, with, of course, more power. So,... this was totally not recommended... HA HA,... be darned if it didn't work, and really good too! The MacBookAir has the underpowered Intel Graphics. Not a Mac Computer designed, at all for Gaming. This laptop is designed to be used, as a portable office, not to play silly games! But I like Silly Games! ... Ha Ha Ha,..well it's supposed to be, but ,.. I got faith in the Game developer, and Apple,...I was right!...the Sim works great! It has a solid enough written program, to work with plug and play USB "EL Cheapo", Gamepads. A really well organized And written, computer program,.. with very little looping, or extra written lines, done tThis way to patch a hastily made program. This game sim, FlightGear, does works real well, it's simple really. "Buy", the cd, and not just BORROW the program, or blame the download. It will work real good, as most paid for programs do...
Give the Developer their Due, and Pay them for their work, I did and got a cd, nothing went wrong, Its an excellent game for the value, Superior to any other Flight Sim Game out there really! When a Game is paid for, instead of just using the free download, it'll work perfect. Hey you even get Support, when games are paid for.
At least that's the way I see it, or, works for me!
A less Frustrated, More Happy Gamer,...
||mother Fcker (4/4/2010 - version 2.0.0)
|IT really failed for osx
||Fleg (12/21/2008 - version 1.9pre2)
|4/5. Would be perfect simulator IF:
- They would fix LOTS of bugs.
- They would keep updating the game. For instance scenery links are down in offical site.
- More detailed cockpits. Cessna 172 skyhawk's cockpit ain't what we see in real life.
||ita (1/26/2008 - version 0.9.10)
|this download falling for mac os x!!
||CarlosCummings (12/22/2006 - version 0.9.10)
|Yay for online playing! The new launcher is very nice and makes everything much easier and faster.
View All Ratings & Reviews
||this space intentionally left blank