j2chess is a chess program written in Java. Consequently j2chess can run on any platform where a Java Virtual Machine is installed (version 1.4.x or later recommended).
j2chess includes an opening book of 15,000 games and can play games in three different modes; casual, blitz and blitz Fisher. j2chess can read ".pgn" library files and therefore can be used as a ".pgn" browser as well.
As a matter of fact, j2chess is a pure hobby project and its development progress is fairly slow! But who minds? ;-) I just hope I'll give you the opportunity to have fun playing chess. You can also help me to improve j2chess by sending me your feedback via email. j2chess is a freeware but if you enjoy it you can always say "Thank you" by making a donation.
• Universal Binary.
• Export current board position to PNG or JPEG bitmap image.
• Board preference: new Display Possible Moves option.
• To open a PGN file library, it is now possible to drag & drop the file onto the board.
• Direct load of the game if a one game only PGN library is opened.
• Board squares have now a slight border.
Universal Binary (PPC/Intel)
• Mac OS X 10.3 or higher