Welcome to the Arena, where high-ranking warriors are transformed into spineless mush. Abandoning every ounce of common sense and any trace of doubt, you lunge onto a stage of harrowing landscapes and veiled abysses. Your new environment rejects you with lava pits and atmospheric hazards as legions of foes surround you, testing the gut reaction that brought you here in the first place. Your new mantra: Fight or be finished.
CVE-2006-2082: directory traversal / information leak in Quake III Arena auto download feature.
• Ludwig Nussel and Thilo Shulz discovered a vulnerability letting a malicious client download files from a server if auto download is enabled ( sv_allowDownload 1 ).
Issue #2 ( CVE pending ): R_RemapShaders buffer overflow
• A second issue fixed in this release would let a malicious server exploit a buffer overflow to execute a shellcode on connecting clients.
Universal Binary (PPC/Intel)
• Mac OS X 10.0 or higher
It's good that someone put effort and make this security update, but performance is degraded on PPC You will get 20% less in FPS
Charlie Naylor(5/10/2006 - version 1.3.2c)
The new 'universal binary' link isnt actually a universal binary. non of the other links work
ToggleGTP(4/21/2006 - version 1.3.2)
Three mistakes were made with this newer version of the update.
1. They failed to mention in the update screen description that the Q3 Arena X (universal binary) or IntelDevBox G5's of this file doesn't work on PowerPC chips. "Known Issues:Multiplayer browser crashes when running on a PowerPC mac."
2. The non altivec link does not work going to the ausgamers server.
3. I couldn't get the Quake 3 OSX link to work at all.
If you are still using a G4 PowerPC get the update here.
Other issues/tips for the G4 go here.
Lack of supportive information and links.
Xlr8 saved the day.
I hope this helps!!
a2daj(2/14/2006 - version 1.3.2)
Please note that this is NOT an official release from id software. It is from a third party group working from the GPLed source code. It contains audio bugs which are not in the official Mac client and it does not contain PunkBuster support. It really shouldn't be listed as a replacement for id's Quake 3. Also, performance on my Dual 2.5 G5 is horrible.